Hello,

I've recently upgraded from Sarge to Etch (the full monty, I'm now running
a 2.6 kernel) and my mail check applet has gone away, and the evolution
package is still marked conspicuously as a sarge package -

  ic  evolution      2.0.4-2sarge1  The groupware suite

When I tried to download the source for the mail notification applet
from the GNOME site, I couldn't find the development packages to install
to compile it.  It's missing libgnomeui-2 -

  Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnomeui-2.0.pc'
  No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found

Is this a known problem to someone?

I've began to wonder if the package list I've downloaded is incomplete
or munged, and if there is a safe way to tell the server to give me
the whole package list again, instead of diff files.

Anybody have any hints or diagnostic techniques I can try, or am I
simply making bad assumptions, and Etch is as it's supposed to
be (a Sarge version of evolution, no mail check applet, and the
source on the GNOME web site is not compilable on a Debian Etch
box)?

Thanks,
John S.