gustavo halperin wrote:

> The only error from Xorg.0.log is
> (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
> But I don't think that it is the problem.

This does not seem to be the cause of the problem. If you want to correct
this however, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg might be useful.

> I didn't find any error from xpdf in the ~/.xsession-errors but I found
> something from Eterm:
> Eterm: Warning: Locale not supported; defaulting to
> portable "C" locale.

This is also not the cause of the problem. All it says is that eterm does
not support your locale. But it should not cause hangups.

1) When the hangup happens, Are you able to ctrl-alt-f1 and go into console
of the machine? If so, log in there and do top/htop etc., to figure out
which process is taking up most of the CPU, memory etc., You can also try
to ssh into the macine.

2) Also make sure, all the packages in your system are up to date. Sometimes
intermixing different KDE versions etc., are known to cause some problems.

3) Are there any messages in /var/log/messages etc., indicating some hard
drive I/O problems? This is a long shot but worth checking up.

4) Do you have sufficient memory or are you constantly using swap space?
Using swap space is slow as opposed to using RAM and might explain
the "hang ups".

sorry I haven't been much useful so far

raju

--