On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 07:02:17PM -0400, S C wrote:
> It's better, I'm awake now.  Responses:
>
> #aptitude install k3b
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... done
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.   (?)
> E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
> E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
> Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
> or been moved out of Incoming

Agree with the other poster who suggests aptitude update and so on.

>    k3b: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.5-1) but it is not installable
>             Depends: libdbus-qt-1-1c2 (>= 0.62.git.20060814) but it is not
> installable
>             Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 is
> installed but it is kept back.
>            Depends: libk3b2 ( >= 0.12.17) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libxinerama1 but it is not installable

aptitude install kde should resolve some of this.

> deb http://mirror.peer1.net/debian etch main non-free contrib

As someone else suggested, use the main US mirror.

> The computer, a Toshiba Satellite A30 with 1.2 gig ram and a 40 gig hard
> drive was originally dual boot MS-Debian 3.1.  Windows quit.  Who knows why.
> Debian has been upgraded to 4.1.  I think.
> Printer: HP officejet 4110 all-in-one  -  cupsys installed and set up
> according to the information I found but still non-functional.  However, it
> will copy and send faxes.

Jon Dowland's Debian Wiki points to some information specifically on the
Toshiba Satellite A30. [wiki.koumbit.net/TheAnarcat/ToshibaSatelliteA30]
This moves into French half way down - but its readable.

hpoj and foomatic should do the trick for the HP. Gutenprint drivers
may also help.

> Applications: OpenOffice.org and GIMP.  I also have Koffice and Abiword,
> but I prefer OOo.  Noatun.  Realplayer.  Luckily, Firefox works.
>
> Speaker is dead.  It does work using the live Kubuntu disc,
> but before I screw with the hard disk there are some pictures of my
> wife, who recently died, on it that I would like to back up because I
> have no other copies.  See about cdrom above.

First things first: get yourself a USB pen drive and get those pictures
off.

> If the backup could be done, I have all sorts of things I could play with.
> Suse 10.0.2 and Kubuntu 6.10, possibly more if I dig around.
>
> What I really want to find out is not necessarily how to do the specifics,
> with the possible exception of the cd problem, but how and where to find
> relevant and current information.  How to type wouldn't be bad either, but
> that's beyond even Linux.

Now you've given us some specifics of your hardware, the list can get
to work and we'll help you find the stuff you may wish to read :)
More later - I've to get to work :)

Take care

Andy