I've had a debian machine running for a number of years and I've upgraded
from woody->sarge->etch.

Looking at the listing in aptitude there are a lot of "obsolete" packages -
such as gcc-2.95, gcc-3.0, python-2.1, ipchains, libdb2, libnewt0,
libreadline3, slang1.  I assume its safe to remove old versions of gcc and
ipchains.  What about the other ones?  Am I likely to break things by
removing ALL of these packages?  Could it wreck locally compiled packages
(of which there are not many)?