On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 16:25:53 +0100, J. Santos wrote:
> Quote from "Debian Reference"
>
> "8.5.2 Alt-SysRq
>
> Insurance against system malfunction is provided by the kernel compile
> option "Magic SysRq key". Pressing Alt-SysRq on an i386, followed by one
> of the keys r 0 k e i s u b, does the magic.

[...]

> Do the kernels from Etch on, have this option already compiled?

I just checked linux-image-2.6.18-4-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12etch2_i386.deb
and its config file has "CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y". I would expect that this
is the same for the later kernels.

You can check yourself for your currently running kernel with

grep SYSRQ /boot/config-$(uname -r)

In case you are asking this question because you already run a >=2.6.18
kernel and sysrq does not work for you: Try if

echo "1" >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

(as root) improves the situation.

          Florian   |