On 6/3/07, John O'Hagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi, Just to share a problem - and its solution - that I'm surprised doesn't happen more often with Testing: Did a dist-upgrade yesterday using adept (frontend for aptitude), previewing the changes first to check for breakages. After the upgrade libc6 (and three other related packages) were broken, which meant that all internet protocols (and dozens of other things) were broken. On another machine I found the reason: the Debian testing repository (on the Debian site) listed the libc6 packages as one version, but the packages were actually an earlier version. This situation only applied for a few hours. My solution was to download the correct versions from unstable on the second machine, copy them to the first machine and manually install them with dpkg -i (luckily this was still possible with a broken libc6). This resolved all the dependency problems.
I had a problem upgrading lenny yesterday, also with libc6, but different. aptitude complained that it found an extra libc6 installed. I had a symbolic link in /usr/lib pointing to the libc.so.6 in /lib, in addition to the symbolic link in /lib. I moved the /usr/lib link out of the way, and aptitude installed libc6 without further complaint. I'm not sure why that link existed in /usr/lib - this is a relatively recent install of lenny, and I don't recall creating that link myself! If anything turns out to be broken, maybe I'll restore the link. Patrick