Wei Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>  On 6/6/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 01:24:32PM +0800, Wei Chen wrote:
> >
> > > Things could be easy for English speaking people, since UTF-8 is fully
> > > compatible with ASCII. However, for people that do not speak English,
> > > for example CJK people, using UTF-8 may mean not compatible with others
> >
> > Wei (or is it Chen?),
>
>  Normally it should be Wei ;-)

Really?  I too was under the impression that family names come first
in your culture.  Sorry to assume too much.

> > Could you give me an example?  If I write a text file on my en_CA.UTF-8
> > system and send it to you, are you saying that since you're not using
> > en_CA.UTF-8 that you can't read it since you are using CJK?  If I were
> > back to using 'C', could you?
>
>  Actually I can read your file regardless what your locale setting and my
>  locale setting are (unless one of them is something like utf-16, which is
>  not ASCII compatible; I am not sure whether this kind of locales exist),
>  as long as the file is solely in English.
>
>  Things only become difficult when characters in some other languages
>  are involved, e.g. Chinese.

Damn, this stuff is ... inconvenient.  You're posting using
iso-8859-1.  I'm attempting to accomodate foreign charsets (well,
those I can read) by using iso-8859-15 (Latin-9?).  Your post is far
more readable for me than was Stephan Seitz' (utf-8) post, which was
only barely readable here.

When slrn has utf-8 support, I'll change.  :-(

[Sorry if I spelt your name wrong, Stephan.  I'm trying your
//TRANSLIT trick in mutt.  Hopefully, I got enough out of your post to
try it correctly.  Thx.]

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html