Gary L. Roach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I have a Toshiba Qosmio G25 that comes with windows XP installed. I used the
newest Etch
| installer to load Debian onto the 2nd harddrive. This worked reasonably well.
Grep was
| installed in the /MBR of the first  (XP) disk. All this worked fine. Then I
decided that I
| wanted to customize the kernel and use the latest stable version from the
Linux web site. I
| have done this with LILO, on another system, many times. I have never used
Grub before.

| I have read everything I can find on Grub and now am totally confused. All
the instructions
| are slanted towards initial installation and do not match what is installed
in my system. My
| /boot contains the following:
|       config-2.6.18-4-686
|       grub   (directory)
|       initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
|       System.map-2.6.18-4-686
|       vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
|
| Questions:
|       1. Does the config file normally end up in this directory or do you
have to cp the .config
| from the /usr/src/linux-xxx directory.

The config file is installed in that dir by the kernel install. You
can put it anywhere you want and need it only (if you want) to make
your own kernel of the same version of course.

|       2. Where did the initrd.img file come from. I couldn't find it in
/usr/src/linux-xx.
Is generated by the install of the kernel (by the initrd-tools)
|       3. The System.map-xxx file has no link to a System.map file as in LILO.
Is this normal or
| is it that I only have one linux kernel installed.
Normal, is a text file, same version as the kernel.
|       4. If I type in grub and get grub> , what do I do to install the new
kernel and still keep
| the vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686 kernel.

Add the new kernel to /boot/brub/menu.lst (see the examples)
and in console:
su grub
find /boot/grub/stage1 ( or find /grub/stage1, depend on the
partition)
grub> find /grub/stage1
 (hd0,1) (here stage1 was finded on my sarge system)
  (hd0,3) ( here stage1 was finded on my testing system)
so i want using my usely system and
grub> root (hd0,1)

and to install grub on the mbr of the first hd:
grub>setup (hd0)
grub>quit

that's all.

| Most of the Debian instructions seem to assume that you are using a .deb file
for
| installation. This is something I never do for the kernel. I always go to the
Linux web site

You can do it the old way.No problem.

| to get the latest release. Some one needs to write a Grub HOWTO that is more
informative. I
| would do it but obviously don't have the necessary knowledge.

There IS a grub HOWTO.

| The menu.lst changes seems to be a straight forward text editing job. Right ?

Yes.Same as lilo.conf

| All help will be appreciated.

mess-mate
--

At once it struck me what quality went to form a man of achievement,
especially in literature, and which Shakespeare possessed so enormously