pol wrote:
After  ms-windows xp has been running for hours, the lapto  is mildly warm
on the lower side, so the overheating issue seems to rise only when linux
is running.
I have updated the bios and now things are getting better with linux.
Until my laptop is plugged in, it is almost cold when touching the lower
side, even colder that when ms-windows is running.

Update: overheating still happens, even the bios new version, although less
often. Auto-shutting down of my hp tc4200 laptop due to critical
temperature reached happended yesterday. I cannot say the reason. Low cpu load. I am running kernel 2.6.20 / kubuntu
(since ubuntu is not debian, i am forwarding also to the ubuntu mailing
lists)

Any ideas?

thank you --
Pol

Try cleaning it Ive had this problem here is your service manual..

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=457948 <http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=457948>

You can all so use a small flexible rubber hose tapped to a vacuum and carefully suck out any dust followed with a good blast with canned air if your not comfortable with taking it apart.

One of my laptops a T-60 always runs hot regardless of what OS its running so I use a little folding stand to let air flow underneath, this lowers temps considerably as a bonus it tips the key pad forward a little and makes typing more comfortable..

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=AWE09US

Tony D