"Russell L. Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> There is only one master boot record per drive.  hda6 and hda9 are two
> partitions of the same drive, namely, drive hda.
>
> Perhaps you mean that hda6 is the "/boot" partition, and you wish
> /boot to be hda9 ?
>
> You need to provide us with more information.

Yes, you're right, I'll try to better explain myself.

On my PC, besides the swap partition, I have one partition, hda1, for MS
Windows and another five for Linux: hda6, had7, hda8, hda9, hda10.

At the moment the `boot partition' is hda6 and I want it to be, say, hda9.
Sorry if I can'y use the right words.  Maybe I should say that the hda6 Grub
boot loader is now installed to the master boot record of my hard drive whereas
the hda9 boot loader is installed to the /dev/hda9 partition?

I want to do so beacuse: now I'm still using Debian Sarge, which is installed
in hda6; I want to install Debian Etch in hda9; then when I'm sure that
everything is all right with Etch I want to boot from hda9, so hda6 can be
formatted again.

I hope that now it is clear enough what I want.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo