I'm running Debian Testing - up to date as of yesterday and I'm using
Kmix.

Since I have updated my kernel to 2.6.22 from kernel.org I am having
audio problems with the on-board Intel HDA system.

Sound output through the speakers is fine but sound from the microphone
is dreadful. The only slider which will control the microphone volume
is labelled 'Digital' and the voice volume level is reasonable with the
slider at about 55% but there is a very loud background hum/hiss which
makes the result unacceptable and I haven't found a way of improving
that. I have to have the first 'Capture' slider set on but the slider
position makes no difference and can be set at the bottom.

As I couldn't make things any better with the HDA I thought that I'd
put a SoundBlaster Live adapter I had into the computer as well.

The results from that seem even stranger. If I tap the microphone I can
hear the sound from the speakers but using Timidity to play a music
file produces nothing from the speakers and using Skype gives a
deafening silence too.

I can't help feeling that I've forgotten something very obvious but not
being anything approaching an audio expert I'm stumped. Any
miracles gratefully accepted.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk