ffmpeg, mencoder, and transcode are obvious tools for this, but
getting nice enough results can be pretty tricky... lots of codecs,
lots of options... very little time...

avidemux is a very nice gui app that is meant to be "virtualdub for
linux" - but the first avi that I tried to compress from 2.1GB to
700MB, had playback problems due to bad handling of B-frames in the
original clip. YMMV.

I'm currently using ripmake - a perl script that generates a makefile
that runs transcode and other tools. It's rather easy to use, and it
can also generate a sample clip, so that you can tune the parameters
before running the complete job:

ripmake -c 1 clip.avi avi  # "-c 1" selects one cd target size
make -f clip-avi.mak rip

All tools courtesy of  the debian-mutimedia repo.

Have fun,
Avi.