I need more fast-HD space for computational work. I wonder whether by adding a
second SATA raid1 (a couple of new disks) to the existing SATA raid1, my home
could be spread on the two raid1 systems, as if it were a single disk (or
filesystem, if you want).

At the moment, on the Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE, with OS Debian amd64 etch, there
is a raid1 arrangement made with two WD Raptor 150GB each. That affords 100GB
free space for collecting data. If I had to rely solely on the 150BG of a
second, new, raid1, space would be insufficient. I need to have 100 + 150GB.

Raptor HDs exist at 150GB max size. On the other hand, 300GB Maxtor initially
installed proved to be incompatible with the board components, resulting, from
time to time, in memory corruption. Disks were reconstructed by the raid1,
though the job was lost. In those instances jobs were already running since ca
one month.

Thanks

francesco pietra