On Mon, August 27, 2007 01:44, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 05:38:27PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:

[...]
>> I've just read the lvm howto and other stuff on 'Changing the Size of
>> the LVM-Partitions' -- and I don't like the sound of it a bit.  Lots
>> of talk of "if something goes wrong", and very complicated. I think
>> I'll go back to the old way as soon as I have energy to do the moving.
>> There is room on my second hard drive to copy the whole system off,
>> repartition the first drive, and copy it back.  With boot on a non-LVM
>> partition, I assume it will all reboot quite happily afterwards. (Mental
>> note: I must remember to remove everything lvm from /etc/rc*.d. before
>> rebooting)
>>

> Here there be dragons.  Remember that your initrd will be set up to
> start your LVM system so that it can find the root device for the
> kernel.  Since I've never had to tweak an initramfs it could get
> interesting.  So with / on LVM, lvm will be started before init even
> gets a chance to run anything in /etc/rc*.d.

You are right of course.  I'll have to re-install from scratch in
order to get a working initrd.  And then copy back the /home and /usr
partitions and most of the / partition...

Or just maybe there is a rescue boot on the netinstall disk which
just maybe will allow me to create a new initrd...

> As for LVM being complicated and warnings of "if something goes wrong",
> remember that you are dealing with your data on disk.  A HOWTO for any
> regular partitioner would also be full of warnings.  Be sober and well
> rested before you touch your partitions of whatever stripe (so to
> speak).  The other thing to remember is that things are layered.  You
> have files in filesystems on logical partitions in volume groups made up
> of one or more physical volumes.  The concept can be complicated but the
> design of those concepts is well tested in real-life use on many OSs.
> Linux implimentation of those concepts is somewhat newer but it does
> work.
>
> However, I do agree that from the user/admin's perspective it is
> complicated.  It offers many advantages to compensate for that.  The
> most obvious is that you do have at your fingertips the ability to tweak
> the sizes of your partitions which you would not have with normal
> partitions.

I've always found it easy and quick with fdisk and parted.  But maybe
the new way is easier than it looks in the documents.  Perhaps I should
try first, just for the experience.

Thanks.

--
richard