On Mon, August 27, 2007 10:44, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:41:36 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>> On Sun, August 26, 2007 22:53, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]
>> > #-------------------------
>> > tls off
>> > host FULLY_QUALIFIED_DOMAIN_NAME_OR_IP_OF_SMARTHOST
>> > from YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS
>> > auth plain
>> > user YOUR_USERNAME
>> > password YOUR_PASSWORD
>> > #-------------------------
>>
>> Done that.  Sending from the VM, now I get
>>
>> msmtp: the server does not support DSN
>> msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/richard/.msmtprc)
[...]
> Maybe you need "dsn_notify never" and/or "dsn_return off". I am not sure
> if this is really the reason for the failure or just a warning message.

Update:

These dsn settings do not help.  It seems clear that msmtp expects a
DSN compliant server.  Bytemark, the ISP, suggested configuring exim4
in forward-only mode, but I am not confident of my ability to get that
right, any more than I did with my previous attempt to configure exim4.
I decided to seek an alternative.  esmtp and ssmtp seemed candidates,
but neither can be installed because

  - ssmtp conflicts with exim4-config
  - esmtp conflicts with exim4-daemon-light.

Can anybody suggest an alternative approach?

The only alternative I can see is to simply remove exim4 and install
several smaller packages that may be easier to configure, or to try with
the courier MTA in place of exim4 -- I already have courier IMAP.  I
have no idea whether either of these will make anything easier.

--
richard