Greetings ....

  A few days ago I moved a hdd with a Sarge installation
  that had run for a little over 3 years in an old Compaq box
  to another old HP box because the power supply in the Compaq died
  and the HP power supply wouldn't fit the Compaq .... :-)

  The Compaq box had a Cyrix processor and I had 2 working kernels
  under Sarge and I used the  686  version as the default ....

      2.4.27-3-686
      2.4.27-3-386

  The HP box that the disk is in now has an AMD K6-2 processor
  and after the move the  2.4-686  wouldn't boot but the other
  2.4-386 would boot and run Sarge OK ....

  I installed a  K6  kernel and un-installed the  686  kernel
  that wouldn't boot ....

      sudo apt-get intall kernel-image-2.4.27-3-k6

      sudo apt-get --purge remove kernel-image-2.4.27-3-686

  Now I can't boot into either the newly installed K6 kernel
  or the older 386 version and get the following messages
  at boot time from either ....

      pivot_root:  no such file or directory

      /sbin/init:  432 cannot open dev/console  no such file

      kernel panic:  attempted to kill init !

  I spent a fair amount of time Google-izing and found
  quite a few others that had gotten similar error messages
  at boot time but not quite under the same circumstances ....

  Most of these were either problems upgrading from 2.4 to 2.6 kernels
  or sata drive problems ....

  The K6 kernel files all seem to be in place in the  /boot  dir
  and the  grub/menu.lst  seems to have been updated OK when I
  check from a Knoopix CD boot ....

  Any clues as to how to repair this problem
  would be greatly appreciated ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being