On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:35:11 -0400, KS wrote:

> I installed Debian on a USB key without GRUB and without touching the
> HDD on my Macbook Pro. You can read the instructions here
> http://ghaint.no-ip.org/~k2/debian/mbp-usb.html if you want to try that
> method.

Hi KS-

Thanks for this. I haven't tried it yet, but it's already revealed
something. Your paragraph:

>> At the point where the installer asks to install GRUB at the MBR,
>> choose "No". After this the installer will ask you where to install
>> GRUB, choose the USB disk device which was /dev/sdb for me. Install
>> GRUB and continue to finish installation. When installation is done,
>> Debian will ask you to take the disk out of the tray and reboot.

Led me to believe I must have accidentally installed Grub in the MBR on
the Mini's drive. Anyway, Christoph Pfisterer's disktype shows a Grub
there pointing to a 2nd disk. I also get a Tux w/HD icon when my Linux
disk is offline!

Also point of clarification: In the above, are you installing Grub to
the device /dev/sdb, or to the root partition dev/sdb#?

Best! Charles