My first question would be:
Have you looked at any of the suppliers who sell with Debian preinstalled?

I would definitely get a laptop/ notebook with an Nvidia graphics card.  Nvidia
support is excellent.  ATI support (even with proprietary drivers) is not so
great.

Look at the internal wireless card.  It's possible to get a broadcom card
working but they don't work well.  I've seen laptops with builtin Atheros
chipset cards.  Atheros, Orinoco, and Prism cards are great.  However, I
personally prefer wireless pcmcia cards with external antenna connectors su as
Ubiquity.

Nervous about who has your email address? Yahoo! Mail can help you win the war
against spam.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/addressguard2.html