I have a raid 1 array used solely  through samba. I'd like to spin
down the discs when not being used to save power. Googling has
provided information about

Could anyone provide instances where doing the following would be a bad idea?:-

   preexec = /bin/mount /mnt/raid
   postexec = /bin/sync
   postexec = /bin/sync
   postexec = /bin/umount /mnt/raid
   postexec = /sbin/scsi-spin --down /dev/sda
   postexec = /sbin/scsi-spin --down /dev/sdb

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.