On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:21:16 -0500, Mike McCarty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:14:57 -0400, Douglas A Tutty
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>>
>>> On small systems, what about the penalty of just larger binaries?  I
>>> have some older boxes with 16-64 MB ram.
>>
>> Firstly: Very few packages have been actively patched to link

> Something like 50 or so. ls, mv, cp, etc.

        Source packages.  All those are from coreutils, no?

>> with selinux. Second, the selinux libraries are shared libs -- so the
>> actual binary is not significantly increased in size (well, dpkg is
>> the exception, since it is linked statically with selinux).

> It does have to be in memory, however.

>> My Pentium II box with 64MB of ram seems to run in SELinux strict
>> mode just fine -- it is my firewall.

> Good for you.

        Right. But a few hundred KB in memory is a smallish penalty, and
 even 708 old hardware seems to be running it fine for me.

        manoj
--
"The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." Fitch
Manoj Srivastava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>