On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 08:51:05AM -0400, Chris Bannister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
was heard to say:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 01:19:33AM +0200, Tobias Nissen wrote:
> > Hi Martin!
> >
> > Martin Waller wrote:
> > > Is it safe to switch to using aptititude as my package manager after
> > > having used dselect up to now?
> >
> > Yes, it is safe. dselect and aptitude use different databases.
>
> dpkg seems to rely on dselect for some reason:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# dpkg --purge dselect
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of dselect:
>  dpkg depends on dselect.
> [..]

  dpkg depends on dselect because dselect used to be part of the dpkg
package.  When dselect was split out, the dpkg maintainers wanted to
ensure that no-one lost dselect during an upgrade, so dpkg depended (in
fact, pre-depended IIRC) on dselect for some time.  There's no technical
reason to have dselect around.

  That said, the dependency went away sometime between sarge and etch,
although a quick scan of the changelog doesn't tell me when.

  Daniel