You know, after reading all the howtos and such, I created a RAID 5
array with just three commands

(after creating the partitions with fdisk)
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda1 /dev/
sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1
mkfs.ext3 /dev/md0
/usr/share/mdadm/mkconf > /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Why does there need to be a 100 page howto when it's just three
commands?

I know that managing the array and recovering from a failure is more
involved than this, but seriously, i was amazed at how easy this was.

Thanks to the people who answered previous questions and got me up and
running.