Kent West([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is reported to have said:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Kent West wrote:
>>> All I want to do is to detect two keys, say the left- and right-shift
>>> keys, or the < and > keys. For one key, a short "dit" audio tone would be
>>> generated, and for the other key, a longer "dah" audio tone would be
>>> generated. I need to bypass the keyboard buffer, so that holding down the
>>> dit key for two seconds doesn't generate 30 dits; it should produce dits
>>> while the key is held down, but once the key is let up, the dits should
>>> immediately stop (after finishing the one it's on).
>>>

>> IFAIK you've hit upon the one problem in cross-platform programming,
>> access to the speaker for variable duration (dit and dah).
>>
>> I would use Qt and that makes keypresses easy to detect, but not sound of
>> variable duration, unless you don't mind recording a dit.wav and a dah.wav
>> and then the problem is easy again.
>>
> Ah, this is the info I needed. Basically what I'm hearing is that it can't
> be done, easily, cross-platform, suitably for giving my fellow hams a taste
> of programming.
>
> Bummer.

This may not be what your looking for either Kent, but...

Install the beep package.  Then, using bash, write a program to output
to the case speaker like this.

A="/usr/bin/beep -l 80 -f 1000 ;sleep .1;/usr/bin/beep -d 100 -l 250  -f 1000"
B="/usr/bin/beep -d 100 -l 250 -f 1000 ; sleep .1;/usr/bin/beep -l 80 -r 3 -f
1000"
etc

I have 'UP' sent every 5 minutes if I'm connected to the net (dialup).

Sorry if this is waaay OT.

Wayne  WA1BBB

--
Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I...