on Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 12:16:28PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

>> > Why issue a 'sync' instead of just unmounting and waiting until the
>> > thing stops flashing?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:24:22AM -0900, Ken Irving <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was
heard
to say:

Daniel Burrows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   So does umount.  (I see you said that below, but I wanted to underline
> it again; it looks like Rudolfo overlooked it)  After "umount"
> completes, it's safe to remove the stick.

I didn't overlook this, but:

1) in my experience, some time ago I used to extract the pendrive after
   `umount' completes and the device often got corrupted.  When I asked this
   list for help to recover it, someone suggested to apply the `sync' option
   to the mount option: since then I put that option in my fstab, until this
   thread advised not to do so;

2) I measured the time, and it seems to me that the `sync' command takes a
   little longer than `umount' to stop.

For these two reasons I presume that it is not safe to extract the device just
after `umounting' and without the sync option in fstab.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Rodolfo