> I have seen IDE to USB adapters but not the reverse so I'm not sure how
debian would
 > handle it. I imagine a USB to IDE adapter would not be cheap as it would
have to have
 > some sort of logic to convert between the two protocols.

i think what i really mean is IDE to USB adapter :) .. i use the motherboard
IDE, to attach
the USB drive via IDE-to-USB (whatever u called it).
I still doubt that this would work i want to try it for experiment and do
not really planning to
do any serious work or development inside the system.
I am in doubt, the system can boot or not ...