On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 04:06:15AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> After two hours of searching with Google and Yahoo, I have not found a
> good approach to the problem of maintaining proper file order when
> copying mp3 files from an ext3 directory to a flash-based mp3 player.
>
> Contrary to the instruction manual, the player (a Creative MUVO) plays
> files in the order in which they are written to flash memory, so if I
> have an audio book with a hundred chapters on an ext3 drive and then
> copy the book to the mp3 player, the chapters do not necessarily play
> in proper sequence.
>
> The player is inexpensive, and does not support playlists.
>
> In searching, I discovered that others also have this problem, but
> there appears to be no standard Linux utility to solve the problem.
>
> But perhaps someone has written such a utility written in Perl?
>
> In the Debian archives is a utility named "fatsort" which addresses
> this problem, but it necessitates mounting a FAT partition.
>
> RLH
Here is an idea:
create a temp. dir: mkdir music_copy

copy the files you want to listen to into the temp. dir:
cp my_music_file1 my_music_file2 ... music_copy

alter the time stamp of these files to suite FAT:
(I think 'touch' would do but not sure what FAT uses)

then copy the file to your music player

The key is to find what value FAT uses: mtime? ctime?
Hope this helps.

|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|