On 24 Mar 2008 20:43:26 -0400, Hugh Lawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been trying to install the nvidia driver.  I managed to get it
> working, but my solution is not entirely satisfactory, because it's
> vulnerable to an update of the nvidia-glx-legacy package.  I'll trace
> through the problem, and perhaps somebody can point to a better way.
>
> Debian etch
> nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x] (rev a1)
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run ("the installer")
> nvidia-glx-legacy
>
> I used the  installer to compile and install the nvidia video
> driver module, but X crashed on next boot.  I couldn't find any
> documentation warning about this after much searching.  I did however
> figure out what was causing the problem.
>
> The init file /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx-legacy was causing the X crashes,
> by fiddling with needed links and file locations in the libraries.  I
> fixed this by the following:
>
> # cd /etc/init.d
> # mv nvidia-glx-legacy XXnvidia-glx-legacy
>
> How I tested this:
>
> First I installed the module
> #  sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run
>
> Upon success, I rebooted.  Then X failed to run.  So I used a rescue
> linux to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use the "nv" driver rather than
> the "nvidia" one, and rebooted again.
>
> Then I tested the installation of the nvidia module.
>
> # sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run  --sanity
>
> The output of this program showed that files were missing, so I
> installed the nvidia module once more:
>
> #  sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run
>
> Staying in the console, I ran this:
>
> # sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run  --sanity
>
> No missing files. Then I ran:
>
> #  /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx-legacy
>
> and ran the sanity check once more:
>
> # sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run  --sanity
>
> The sanity check showed files were missing again. So, I installed the
> nvidia module once more:
>
> #  sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run
>
> and did this:
>
> # mv nvidia-glx-legacy XXnvidia-glx-legacy
>
> Upon reboot, the nvidia logo appeared and X started normally.
>
> QED: /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx-legacy, a part of the nvidia-glx-legacy
> package
> makes it impossible for me to use the nvidia video driver, as
> installed by NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run

Hey,

  Are you using the legacy
drivers or are they simply being installed alongside and causing issues?

  The nvidia-glx-legacy isn't for the Geforce4 line:

>From `apt-cache show nvidia-glx-legacy`:

These XFree86 4.x/X.Org binary drivers provide optimized hardware
acceleration
of OpenGL applications via a direct-rendering X Server and supports the TNT,
TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, and GeForce2 chipsets. AGP, TV-out and flat panel
displays are also supported.
.
This is the 'legacy' driver for older chipsets. Unless your chipset is
explicitly listed in the above paragraph, please use the nvidia-glx driver,
which is much more up to date.

cheers,
Owen.