On 24/03/2008, Douglas A. Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:46:56AM +0100, Joost Witteveen wrote:
>  > On 23/03/2008, Rich Healey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > >         I'm trying to tunnel an iceweasel instance via ssh from one
>  > >         of my boxes at my house to remember the name of an add-on i
>  > >         installed.
>  > >
>  > >         The problem is that i create a ssh session (ssh -XC
>  > >         ssh.psychotik.info), login and run iceweasel at the bash
>  > >         prompt, which takes forever, but then finally *opens a local
>  > >         iceweasel!!!*
>  >
>  > I suppose that iceweasel -P uniqueprofilename would do what you want?
>  >
>  > Also, it's *much* faster use vnc (tunnel through ssh): on the remote
>  > host, start: vnc4server on your localhost, start (and login to) ssh -L
>  > 5900:server:5901 server
>  >
>  > and then on the localhost (different window) vncviewer localhost:5900
>  >
>  > The 5901 portnumer is assuming the vncserver opens a X11 screen on :1.
>  > When I start epiphany diretly over X11, it takes about 30 min to show
>  > a page; when I do it using VNC as above, it takes seconds.
>

> I run iceweasel over ssh all the time, however, I don't have it
>  installed locally so there's no local version to run.  It may take a few
>  seconds to give the initial window, but then it displays as fast as the
>  box can swap.  The network is 100 MB/s ethernet, the box I'm sitting at
>  is a P-II with 64 MB ram, the box I'm sshing into to run iceweasel is an
>  AMD Athlon64 with 1 GB ram.  It doesn't even take 30 minutes to show a
>  page when I ssh from my 486 with 32 MB ram so something is wrong there.
>
>  Why would VNC be faster if both are encrypted?

No, over a 100Mb/s ethernet, running iceweasel over VNC probably
wouldn't be much faster than directly over ssh (and running over an
ssh-tunneled VNC connection would of course be slower than straigt
VNC).

But the OP complained iceweasel was very slow. So I suppose he didn't
run it over a direct 100Mb/s connection, but over something slower,
probably with larger ping times, ping times of 10-30 ms are enough to
make it slow, and with slow, I mean that it can take over 20 min for
iceweasel to even start showing the home page.
I notice that when that happens, starting iceweasel on the remote site
on a VNC X server an watching the output via a VNC viewer is a lot
faster. And a lot here means just a couple of seconds to show the home
page, instead of 20 min.
As the OP reported using ssh, I assumed he didn't want to connect
unencrypted (somethign VNC as far as I know does), so I suggested
using an ssh tunnel.