On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:41:27PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
Then DROP the idea of hw-raid. Get a damn good SATA/SCSI/SAS HBA, and use software raid. BTW, damn good means no VIA, SiS, nVidia, or other el-cheap-o half-broken SATA

Can you give some examples for a good SATA HBA?

While I’m quite convinced that software raid is more flexible than hardware raid (at least for RAID 1), I know that I can do hotplug stuff with my 3ware (or the PERC 5/i in our Dell servers). And the last time I checked with the kernel SATA support, hotplugging disks was not very well supported.

With my 3ware controller I can use tw_cli or the GUI to rescan for a new disk or to remove it and I use this feature for backup. How would I do this with a „normal” SATA controller?

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| PGP Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/pgp.html |