>  > ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk
>

>   $ ldd /usr/bin/gmfsk | grep libstdc
>         libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb738e000)
>
>  So, since I had libstsdc++.so.6 installed, and this is what it needs,
>  why would installation of libstdc++.so.5 enabled it to work?

If it were to happen to me, I'd assume it was because I didn't look
properly when I tried it without libcstc++.so.5 (and I'd try removing
the libstdc++5 version to verify).
But I won't assume you're as stupid as me, so maybe gmfsk executes
another binary that depends on libstdc++.so.5. To try that, uninstall
libstdc++.so.5, and run
strace -f gmfsk 2> stderr-file.txt
then search the stderr-file.txt for libstdc. If there is something
opening libstdc++.so.5, you should see the exec() line somewhere
above.