> Are there any "generic" daemons out there using the new event facilities
> that serve as a reasonable replacement for 'laptop-mode-tools' and/or
> 'acpi-support', and which work without X running?

        After grovelling around in a bunch of config files, I've partially
answered my question.

        'gnome-power-manager' is built on top of HAL, and performs all its
actions through the org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement
interface.  So, digging around through the HAL files, I found the scripts --
conveniently enough in /usr/lib/hal/scripts -- that are actually invoked to
perform the actions.  These scripts are themselves clients of 'pm-utils'
(indeed 'hal' lists 'pm-utils' as a dependency).  And 'pm-utils' has (just
barely) the functionality needed to unload and reload flaky kernel modules
on suspend and hibernate.  It doesn't yet have the ability to specify a list
of services to stop/restart, but the infrastructure's there.

        Now all I need is a non-GUI daemon to drive the whole thing.

                                        Schwab