On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 12:30:43PM -0400, Tenant wrote:
> I've been lurking on the list for a while, but haven't posted before. We're
> looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running Debian
> Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at Ubuntu, which
> is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced overview of the pros and
> cons of using Debian or Ubuntu?  In the same vein are there any views on
> just upgrading to Etch or jumping in with Lenny?
>
> I'd appreciate any URLs or your own thoughts. Thanks.

If your server still runs sarge that is good and bad.

It is good because etch will seem like space age technology to you,
though it's already one year since release.

It is bad because you waited so long with an upgrade. The security
support for sarge has ended.

I would suggest about the same time as lenny is released you start
planning you next upgrade. This way you will have an entire year to
complete the move (security support for oldstable ends about one year
after the release of stable).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)