On Jun 26, 2008, at 10:44 PM, j t wrote:

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Robert Jerrard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The time adjustment keeps going up and up but the clock is never reset, it just continues to fall further behind. Anyone know how to fix this?

I realize that it's not exactly an answer to your question, but after
days of stuffing around with openntpd, I discovered that openntpd on
linux doesn't discipline the clock (versions later than 4.0 available
on *BSD do, but the portable version has been stuck at 3.9 for over 2
years!)

I then tried out the original ntp package instead, and it's just
worked perfectly (without me so much as touching the config files) on
every install I've done ever since (including dial-up machines with
intermittent Internet connectivity). May I recommend you try the
original?

For further info, see the section on clock discipline in:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050304032724/http:// bradknowles.typepad.com/considered_harmful/2004/09/openntpd.html
Also see:

Hope this helps, Jaime

Robert,

Please see the replies by Mike Bird to my questions in the thread in the debian-user list with subject
        "ntp not any more supported in Debian or did I miss something?"
for ways to get the original ntp package from ntp.org installed on recent versions of Debian Lenny.

I still haven't gotten an answer to my question as to whether original ntp is planned to be supported in Lenny when that is finally released.

Rick