Am 2008-06-23 13:30:54, schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> Money is not the issue. You keep alluding about how I want everything
> gratis; this was never my claim. Source could very well be distributed
> with money and you know that many companies do this now, just as many
> other companies always did this before when computers were first
> created. I am unconvinced that it's impossible to do so now.

OK, I can confirm it since I know several enterprises  or  manufacturers
which sell (against an additional fee) the Sourcode for a  software  you
have buyed previosly, BUT, this sourcecode is FOR YOU ONLY and, you have
to sign a NDA.

I have such CSS which is working but is not  realy  what  I  wanted  and
ask them for a special feature I need.  They denied but offered (!!!) me
the Source to modify the software for MY needs, however, under NDA.

> I don't feel compelled to continue this argument... You seem to see
> everything in terms of immediate results and money, both of which I

I have no other chice, since I am working alone and if I do not work,  I
have no money for living and my kids would be very angry...  IF  I  wait
for a Developer, to add features and better  or  more  intuitiv  GUI,  I
would not earn money for the net 3-5 years,  even  if  I  spend  someone
20.000 € to work on it.

Such things are nearly impossibel.

With one exception:  I should find at least 100 peoples needing the same
software and features and each one would pay 1000 € in a fond from which
a full-time Developer would be engaged which code the missing stuff.

It copuld work, but look @ Blender... The originalauthor was in the debt
and has sold it for 100.000 US$  to  the  community  which  created  the
"Blender Foundation".  AFAIK there where 952 peoles  giving  money  into
the fond to buy it and create an Open Source Porject.

But Blender is a program used be severl 100.000 peoples. Linux + Windows

PCB Layouting software is very limited in use, specialy for  features  I
need.

VariCAD, - WHO want to create an OSS Project to fsck its manufacturer?
You can't, - since there is no one with this experience of it.  You have
to know about ISO norms and more.  The  simulating  situations  like  an
earth-quake or a hurican...  OSS developer here who do such things?

The algorithm and lookup-tables  for  it  are  developed  by  institutes
attached to universities and there ARE patented since  this  development
costs time, imense IT equipment and manpower...

If such software would be open source (opened by its  manufacturer)  who
care about the costs of development?

> insist are nearsighted. As a whole, as a society, we would all be
> better off in the long run without these obstacles to dissemination of
> knowledge.

I have a list of 14 programs I need where there is NO OSS  solution  and
will not be in the next 10 years since its  development  had  cost  wide
over several 100 million Euro.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)