On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 16:57:04 -0400, Jeff Soules wrote:
> Thanks for the help so far, everyone.
>
> > I have retried using both of the generic drivers.  Now I'm getting a
> > > fatal server error -- no screens found.
> > > Still not working, but at least it's enough to start me on further
> > > research.
> > >>
> > > The monitor in question is an Acer 22" lcd, if anyone out there has
> > > any experience with these.
> > >

> > Can you post your xorg.conf and the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
>

> As requested I have attached my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files.  I'm
> attaching the conf and log files which occurred using the nv driver,
> although I get the same results (near as I can tell) when using the vga
> driver.
> You can also see that I've disabled glx output and restricted screen
> resolution to 1024x768 or lower (non-widescreen resolutions) in the hope
> that this might help, but no luck so far.

In your Xorg.0.log:

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation unknown chipset (0x0402) rev 161, Mem @
0xfa000000/24, 0xd0000000/28, 0xf8000000/25, I/O @ 0xdf00/7
(EE) end of block range 0x1fffffff < begin 0xe0000000
(EE) No devices detected.

It seems that the nv driver in Etch does not know your chipset (nvidia
x0402 seems to be a GeForce 8600 GT). That is unfortunately a relatively
common issue with newer hardware and Debian stable.

You may have to go to Lenny or Sid if you want to use the free driver;
as far as I can tell there is no backport of the newer xorg available on
www.backports.org. (Actually I don't know for sure if your chipset is
supported by the newer nv driver; the manpage on Sid claims support for
"GeForce 8XXX".)

You could also try if you can install the newest nvidia driver on Etch
with nvidia's own installer script:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_173.14.09.html

It might help if you get a newer kernel from www.backports.org first.
Also make sure that you purge (not just remove) the Debian nvidia
packages before you try this.

> Haven't gotten the box to recognize the monitor yet, although I did manage
> to get the mouse configured correctly thanks to mdetect.  Is it unusual to
> have to require root privileges to open /dev/psaux ?  I couldn't cat that
> device file on my usual login, and mdetect could not discover it without
> being run as root.

I think this is normal. /dev/psaux is depreciated nowadays in favor of
/dev/input/mice, but it should still work as long as your kernel has
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX.

          Florian   |