... no errors in the console if I run it from there instead.

Particulars: I'm running lenny, x86_64 binaries, the 2.6.24 kernel, and KDE. I
tried installing the KDE integration package, uninstalling the whole thing,
reinstalling (twice), got the same symptoms. Running from the KDE launcher or
the console, I get the same thing. Running calc or writer, same thing. Splash
screen appears, progress bar zips to full, then nothing. Tried removing the
user settings after reinstall (~/.openoffice.org2), same thing.

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere; I searched, didn't see it.

Helpful information even if you *haven't* seen this: does OpenOffice log its
errors somewhere? I haven't been able to find them. The only logging in
/var/log/* appears to be from installs/uninstalls/reinstalls.

--
AJ Milne
http://accidentalweblog.org/