On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 02:37:11PM +1100, Rich Healey wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> >> Not in amd64.
> >>
> > At this point, I still think it's too early to run a 64-bit environment
> > unless you actually have programs that require 64-bit support.  Too much
> > stuff still only supports a 32-bit environment.  You're shooting
> > yourself in the foot if you're running 64-bit on a desktop with no
> > explicit need.
> >
> I'd disagree. 32bit + 64bit kernel is always a good idea, and 64 bit
> userlands are fine. The exception is if you have to use binary blobs,
> and even then kludgy wrappers do exist.
>
> I run a 64 bit userland on a PPC machine (this _IS_ a bad idea, but I
> need the speed..)

Have you run qemu on that PPC to run x86 dos?  I remember drooling over
an RS/6000 7025-H50 but I couldn't get Sarge to boot on it.  That was
before I knew what I know now and perhaps it could have worked.  It
probably would have been too high a MHz too, but that's another issue on
the back burner for now.  I just want to relax with some games.

> @Doug,
> I do love old machines, let us know how you go. I have some disks that
> you're welcome to, perhaps we can work something out with shipping? If
> you have some old kit lying around, perhaps we could trade?

I don't have any old kit that I'm not either using or plan to use
(remember my low-MHz thread?).  Now that I've moved, I want to get my
Tyan dual-P-133 box set up (that was generously donated by a fellow DU
lurker); all it needs is a new RTC and at least that is in a socket and
still available.

The only thing I've had fail on good old computers are the hard drives
and CPU fans (on my P-II, need to fix that).  There are good threads on
using CF cards on the OpenBSD-misc list since many of those types use
OBSD on CF cards on small boxes to make net appliances.  CF cards look
just like an IDE disk to the IDE controller and BIOS; just have to watch
that you don't hit swap too often...

I need to get more memory for both boxes but its not too expensive and
is still available from a couple of on-line Canadian sites.

Doug.