On 11/19/08 22:02, jeremy bentham wrote:
On Nov 19 s. keeling wrote:

jeremy bentham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

 Please, no {advice, orders} to upgrade to etch.  Consider this a
 question about aptitude/sources.list/archives.

That does look kind of trollish.  Sorry.  Post in haste, repent
at leisure.

Fine.  Why would you expect Sarge to work anymore?  Just curious.

Laziness.  Fear.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only Geeky Hardware Hacking will remain.

I have _never_ done an "upgrade" that didn't break something,
and after lurking here for a while I suspect that udev and
x.org would have me thrashing about for several days.

You never tried *ix either, until the first time you tried it.

It was weird, and none of the command qualifiers had any commonality. But, by making mistakes, you learned and adjusted.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it:  sarge works for my simple
needs, and I'll probably stick with it until "progress" breaks
something _I_ use.

Or until my hardware fails and I have to go with a new
install anyway.  Given the age of my stuff, that's the most
likely scenario.

If the gift CDs I used to install Debian had been buzz, I'd probably
be sticking with _that_.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!