On 2008-12-14, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <h...@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, ZephyrQ wrote:
>> mix/edit/burn on my home machine.  It has a USB port, but I've tried a
>> few things (including some BIOS settings) and I can't get it to read my
>> thumb drives (they work on all other machines, including the linux
>> ones).  It does not have a cd-burner on it and I've tried to use the
>
> It is old enough that it could be USB 1.0.  Not many stuff nowadays
> will work with it, but you can buy an CardBus or PCMCIA card with USB
> 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports cheaply.  Does your thinkpad have a working
> CardBus/PCMCIA slot?

I have a Thinkpad 390E and also an older Toshiba, both running
Debian testing. For USB 2.0 I use a PCMCIA-USB adapter plus a
powered USB hub. I also have a cheap PCMCIA-CF (Compact Flash)
adapter that is slower but less complicated.

Both laptops are on my home network (wired or wireless), which
is what I use most of the time. The IBM 390E has a built-in
serial port and an ethernet port on the dock.

Regards,

Howard E.
Ottawa