On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Ross Boylan wrote:

I switched to trying to get a 100Mhz Pentium with 64MB of RAM working.
Unfortunately, it can't boot from CD-ROM (maybe something broke--the CD
ROM is still readable, though).  Nor does it directly support network
booting.  Its disks are basically full; it's running Windows NT 4, but
my other family members are finding it intolerably slow.  I was hoping
it would be adequate as an X terminal.

There is an easy way to turn an MS-Windows system into an XTerminal although I'm not sure it will work with something as old as NT4.

- Install Cygwin.

- Install the X server

- Don't bother installing any other Cygwin tools as you won't be using them.

- Use "X -query" as you normally would to connect to a remote display manager that is accepting remote queries.

If you set the X server to be full screen then you can alt-tab between the MS-Windows environment and the *nix environment.

It can take some time to explain to users that the apps they are running are not runnning on the local box.

Otherwise for a box that can't boot from cdrom or NIC it would seem you'd be stuck with floppy booting.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy