On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 02:12:06 +1300, Chris Bannister
(mockingb...@earthlight.co.nz) wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:01:32PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> > I burn my nightly backups to DVD's and mail them to a fictitious address
> > in Guam--not first class of course.. and they are diligently returned to
> > me 2-3 weeks later.
>
> What a waste of peoples time and resources. Imagine if everybody did
> that.

Absolutely!  The poor Guam postal service would probably collapse under
the workload if nothing else.  And think of the carbon footprint.

On a more serious note, one option for offsite backups which I don't
think has been mentioned here is the Amazon S3 service:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_S3

Despite the silly name, these people (who provide an interface to the
above) are supposed to be ok: http://www.jungledisk.com although that is
only a second hand recommendation.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.