I have been an "expert" on close to a dozen patent/copyright suits.
Unfortunately in situations like these there is only one ultimate
solution-someone has to sue someone and get the issue resolved in
court.  Although the arguements presented here come from bright
people they are, albeit educated, merely opinions.  Also if either
side would cousult some plethora of lawyers we would not have a
resolution, merely a plethore more opinions.  Although I am a
neophyte in the Debian community I humbly suggest that this thread be
dropped.
Larry