On Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 18:05:53 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> The thread is marked 'OT'.

  Indeed.  That's fine for a little while; but people come here
 for Debian assistance, help, and experience.

  I'm certain you're not suggesting that I'd be OK to write
 multiple posts every day about my favourite pies, television
 shows, and film stars so long as I added "OT" to the subject.

> Etch is as stable as anything.  Lenny will be soon.  This is just the
> group twiddling its thumbs waiting for something to happen.  I happens
> every time Testing is about to become Stable.

  It is almost here, which is good.

  I recognise that not everybody can help by reporting bugs,
 testing fixes, or contributing code, graphics, documentation,
 etc.  But I think a more productive use of the Debian list
 would be to focus upon Debian.

> Next, we'll have a new thread about how we need a separate mailing list.

  If we can ask, politely, that people cease prolonging off-topic
 posts for days then we won't need to have that conversation.

  Alternatively we could just have a free-for-all and let everybody
 post about anything they want, and the people that spend their
 spare time reading Debian lists willing to offer help to strangers
 will just get bored and stop doing so.

  The latter is the situation people are trying to prevent when
 they suggest off-topic posting is fine for a little while, but
 does need to be nipped in the bud at times.

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration
http://www.debian-administration.org/