* André Berger (2009-03-16):

(Replying to myself and trying to sum up your A&Qs)

Thank you all for the helpful discussion and detailed instructions,
_much appreciated_.

I'm aware of the significance of backups, and keep redundant backups
of 'important' data. The files in question are 'just movies' I would
miss but could live without. Not that I wanted to avoid lose them
though.

That said, two ext3 filesystems would be absolutely OK with me, as
long as I could merge them virtually, so my movieplayer (dbox2) would
have to access just one directory, and deleting files from that
directory would result in deleting the original file (not just a
symbolic link). I could create a "more..." symlink on disk1 pointing
to disk2, but I really want everything in one directory,
alphabetically.

Could "mount --bind" come to the rescue? But if I mounted one
directory 'over' another, it would 'cover' the original one, which
wouldn't be accessible any more, would it?

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Tera Kernel 2.6/PPC from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org>