On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM, tech lists <techinfolists@> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully installed & used Debian on either this
> (P-7805u) or the simiilar 7811 Gateway laptops?  I'm having trouble
> finding any success stories on Google ( or this mailing list, or the
> debian-laptop mailing list, or linux laptops website) for these
> laptops or any Gateway FX laptops (or even Gateway laptops in general)
> for any linux distro.  The laptop has been out since the middle of
> last year with the only change coming at the end of last year with a
> slight downgrade on the screen resolution.  Surely someone's tried
> linux on this laptop in the last 9 months?
>
> If anyone is using this laptop with Debian or any linux flavor, is
> there a known procedure for updating the bios (if/when necessary)
> without either booting into Vista or without a Windows partition at
> all?

a) AFAIR, Debian has a special mailing list fully deducated to
laptops. That may be more useful.

b) Try one of the Debian stable LiveCD, for example:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/i386/iso-cd/debian-live-500-i386-gnome-desktop.iso

and that will give you almost exact look as if you work in already
installed system. If you will face a problem, that will be almost
exactly the same problem as if you face it with installed system. So,
basically, you have a chance to resolve possible upcoming problems
before you actually install the system.

--
С Уважением,
Марк Гольдштейн