On 2009-03-29_11:15:15, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-03-29 10:49, Paul E Condon wrote:
>> On 2009-03-29_22:29:41, Strong and Humble wrote:
>>> Good day.
>>>
>>> Just wanted to know if it is possible to specify a time zone that has
>>> no winter time shift whole year? What I want is to stay the same time
>>> (without winter shift) whole year, yet be able synchrinize my system
>>> time with a ntp-server.
>>>
>>> How I can do this?
>>>
>>> Thank You for Your time.
>>
>> Wow! A kindred spirit. I have often wished for this too, but thought I
>> was the only person in the world who was such an outlier as to want it.
>> Only difference is that I have thought the thing we have now in the US
>> was 'summer time' as opposed to 'standard time', which now in the US is
>> used for only a few weeks in the depths of winter.
>>

> If you only have Linux on your computer, then it's clock is most likely
> UTC.

On a Linux computer, the internal clock is almost certainly *NOT* UTC,
rather it is "seconds since Unix Epoch", often shortened to "seconds
since Epoch", or just "Unix time". All the stuff about displaying year,
month, day, AM/PM, and other human cultural things is done in software
that reads the Unix clock and translates the reading into one of many
different forms with which humans are more comfortable.

The issue, for me, has been which of these human forms is displayed on
my computer, and how do I control that choice. I think it would be
crazy to switch to a different clock internally in the computer. It is
seconds since Epoch, and always will be, so long as Linux/Unix/POSIX
exists, IMHO.

UTC is available as a translation. You can get it, if you want, by
selecting "Etc:UTC" in dpkg-reconfigure tzdata.

You can display a decimal representation of the binary number in the
Unix clock in your computer by issuing the command "date +%s".

--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net