--- Alphonse Ogulla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just compiled kernel 2.4.21 but cannot boot it
> despite creating the initrd
> image and respective links in / to files in /boot.
> The last 5 lines printed on screen before hang-up
> are printed below.
>
> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting
> at 0.
> Freeing initrd memory: 2664k freed
> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
>
> Passing root=/dev/hda1 to lilo at boot time did not
> bear fruit.
> Created initrd as follows:
> # mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.4.21
> /lib/modules/2.4.21
>
> Added the following lines in lilo.conf before
> running lilo.
> image=/vmlinuz-2.4.21 initrd=/initrd.img-2.4.21
>       label=2.4.21
>       root=/dev/hda1
>       read-only
>
> Grateful for any assistance in resolving this
> difficulty.
>
> --
> Alphonse Ogulla
> Nairobi, Kenya

Check that:

 - under "File systems", "Second extended fs support"
has "y"
 - under "Block devices", "Normal PC floppy disk
support" has "y"
 - under "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support", "IDE, ATA and
ATAPI Block devices" has "y"
   - under submenu "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block Devices",
   "Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy
support" and "Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support" have "y"
clicked.

This helped me to solve similar problems - I hope
it'll help you too

Joris