[ Please wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary
  discussion. ]

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 08:29:42 -0700, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

> Hi. I just upgraded from testing to unstable, in order to get some
> updated packages I need.
>
> X is now not working, and i dont know why. There are no useful
> messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, that i can tell--no errors are
> reported adn the only thing that looks bad is "SELinux: Disabled on
> system, not enabling in X server".
>
> There are no useful messages in /var/log/messages.
>
> In /var/log/gdm/:0.log I get an error "RADEON(0): [dri]
> RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM" and then "[dri] Disabling
> DRI."; but then perhaps better, "Unhandled monitor type 0 after
> xf86InitialConfiguration" "Output LCD1 disable success". At the end of
> this log there is "/usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so: undefined symbol:
> atiddxAbiDixLookupPrivate".

It looks like your X is trying to use libdri.so from the fglrx-driver
package together with the radeon driver; this cannot work. You either
have to make X use the fglrx driver (provided that you can install it
correctly) or you have to get rid of the fglrx-driver package (which
should restore the normal libdri.so from Xorg).

See also here:

http://bugs.debian.org/528800

          Florian   |