On Friday 22 May 2009 03:43:32 am David wrote:
> But, like I said before, I don't know if this is exactly how it works.
> The above is mostly my theory based on observations of aptitude's
> behavior.

    I think this would be Debian's case of Deep Magic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_programming

    str->str_pok |= SP_FBM;                     /* deep magic */
    s = (unsigned char*)(str->str_ptr);         /* deeper magic */
            --Larry Wall in util.c from the perl source code

--
         Steve C. Lamb         | But who can decide what they dream
       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |      and dream I do