deb...@waysoft.com <deb...@waysoft.com>:
>  On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 18:41:10 -0600 "s. keeling" <keel...@nucleus.com> wrote:
> > Incoming from Robert Baron:

> > > have you tried the following?
> > >
> > >   mysqladmin -u root password NEWPASSWORD
> >
> > (0) [root] infidel /root_ mysqladmin -u root password '.........'
> > mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> > error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
> > NO)'
>
>  Looks like root already has a password set.  If so, and you know what
>  it is, try...
>    mysqladmin -u root -p password NEWPASSWORD
>  and you will be prompted for the old password.
>
>  If you don't think there is an old password, or you forgot it, try one
>  of the sites that explain how to reset a mysql root password, e.g:
> <http://blog.dotkam.com/2007/04/10/mysql-reset-lost-root-password/>

Much appreciated.  I wouldn't trust everything on that page (kill -9
mysqld?!?), but this works:

  /etc/init.d/mysql stop
  mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &
  mysql -u root
  mysql> update user set password=PASSWORD("...") where user="root";
  mysql> flush privileges;
  mysql> quit;

then:

  pkill mysqld_safe
  /etc/init.d/mysql start
  mysql -u root -p

and that asks for and accepts the new password.  Thanks for your help.  :-)

And yes, I'm well aware that mysql's root user should not be confused
with system root.

This is lenny, fwiw.